Cheese & Tomato Strata
- 10 Sunny Queen free range eggs
- 1/2 cup lite milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices wholegrain bread cut in rough 1-inch squares
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 400 gram can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 120 grams goats cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Step 1In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt. Add the bread and toss so that all of the bread is saturated with liquid. Refrigerate the mixture and let it sit for at least 2 hours and up to overnight. When you’re ready to bake the strata, preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Step 2Take the egg and bread mixture out of the fridge and add the tomatoes, chickpeas, basil, and goat cheese to the mixing bowl. Toss everything together to thoroughly combine.
- Step 3Heat olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Swirl the oil to coat the bottom and at least an inch up the sides. Pour the combined ingredients into the skillet, then use a spatula to spread everything evenly over the skillet, pressing the bread into a flat, even layer.
- Step 4Bake the strata in the preheated oven until the eggs are completely set and the edges are golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Take the strata out of the oven and let it sit in the pan for at least 15 minutes. Flip the cooled strata out of the pan and onto a cutting board, then slice it into four portions.