Orange Crème Caramel
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1/3 cup sugar, extra
- 4 Sunny Queen eggs
- Sliced strawberries, to top
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 160°C and lightly oil six 3/4 cup capacity ramekins. Line a baking dish with a tea towel folded into four, and stand the ramekins on it.
- Step 2Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan, and stir over low heat without boiling until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat to medium and bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, for about 8 minutes, until dark golden brown.
- Step 3Pour into the base of each ramekin (be careful as the caramel is very hot). Leave to cool and set.
- Step 4Place the milk and orange rind into a saucepan, and heat until almost boiling. Whisk the eggs and extra sugar together in a bowl, and slowly add the hot milk, whisking constantly. Stand for 5 minutes, then strain into a jug.
- Step 5Pour into the ramekins. Place into the oven, and pour enough boiling water into the baking dish to come half way up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 35 minutes, until set. It will still have a slight wobble. Cool, then remove the ramekins from the dish and chill for 8 hours, or overnight.
- Step 6To serve, run a knife around the custard, and invert onto a plate. Serve with sliced strawberries.