Greek Spinach & Feta Pie
This warming Greek dish is also known as Spanakopita
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500 grams fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 250 grams Greek feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 Sunny Queen Free Range Eggs, beaten
- 3-4 large sheets filo pastry
- 1/2 cup butter
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius. Fry onions in butter until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Step 2To make the pie filling, drain and cool the spinach then tip into a bowl and mix in the nutmeg, feta and eggs.
- Step 3Grease a 20-22 non stick baking dish. Add single sheets of filo, brushing with melted butter, and keep going with the rest of the sheets until all are used up. Let the excess pastry hang over the side of the dish.
- Step 4Tip in the filling and fold over the excess pastry to cover. Spread top with melted butter and score with knife. Bake for 30 minutes until the filo is crisp and golden.