- Pie dough for 9-inch dish and lattice, chilled
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstartch
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 Sunny Queen free range egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Step 1Roll out half of the pie dough to fit 9-inch dish. The dough should be about 2 inches larger than the dish.
Being careful not to stretch the dough, fit into pie dish then trim dough to within 3/4-inch of the edge of the dish. Refrigerate while you make the pie filling.
- Step 2Mix sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, allspice, cinnamon and salt in bowl. Add blueberries and gently mix with other ingredients. Transfer filling to pie dish. Refrigerate while you prepare the lattice crust.
- Step 3Roll out second half of dough to a similar size as before. Cut into 3/4-inch strips. Lay five strips over filled pie, parallel and equally spaced from one another. Carefully fold back the second and fourth strips then lay another strip of dough perpendicular to them. Unfold second and fourth strips over new strip.
Fold back the first, third and fifth strips then lay another strip of dough perpendicular to them. Unfold the first, third and fifth strips over the new strip. Repeat until pie has been covered with a lattice crust.
Trim dough strips to 3/4-inch of the edge of dish. Fold edges of strips and bottom dough underneath itself, creating a thicker border that rests on the lip of the dish. Crimp edges. Dot butter over the open areas of the lattice.
- Step 4Make egg wash by whisking egg yolk and cream together then brush over pie dough. Refrigerate pie 20 minutes or freeze for 5 minutes before baking.
- Step 5Heat oven to 200 degrees C. Position an oven rack in the lower third of the oven. Bake chilled pie on hot baking sheet for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 175 degrees C then continue to bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden and juices in the filling are bubbling eagerly.
Cool for 2.5 hours before cutting to allow filling to set.