Carbonara with a twist
- 2 Sunny Queen free range eggs
- 1 Sunny Queen free range egg yolk
- 250 grams thick cut bacon rind removed, cut into 1cm pieces
- Grated Parmesan cheese to serve
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1/4 cup thickened cream
- 250 grams dried linguine or tagliatelle pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sun dried tomatoes shredded
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Step 1Cook pasta in a saucepan of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain and reserve 60ml (1/4 cup) of the cooking liquid. Keep warm.
- Step 2Heat oil in a frying pan (or same saucepan) over medium-high heat.
- Step 3Add bacon bits. Stir for 3 minutes or until crisp. Add shallots and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Step 4Remove pan from the heat and Add cream, half the parmesan cheese and eggs. Swirl well to combine. Season with plenty of pepper and salt to taste. Add Spinach, pasta cooking liquid and return to a low heat.
- Step 5Add cooked pasta and gently toss until all is combined and the sauce begins to thicken.
- Step 6Top with sun dried tomatoes and remaining Parmesan and serve piping hot.