Hot Cross Buns
- 300 milliliters milk, plus 2 tablespoons more
- 50 grams butter
- 500 grams strong bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 75 grams castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 7 grams yeast
- 1 Sunny Queen free range egg, beaten
- 75 grams sultanas
- 50 grams mixed fruit peel
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 green apple, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 75 grams plain flour
- 3 tablespoons jam of your choice
- Step 1Heat milk to boil, then remove from the heat and add butter. Leave to cool until it is luke warm. Combine flour, salt, sugar and yeast into a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Pour in the milk and butter mixture, then add the egg, mixing well.
- Step 2Lightly flour bench or cutting board and knead dough for 5 minutes. Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with oiled cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Step 3With the dough still in the bowl, tip in the sultanas, mixed peel, orange zest, apple and cinnamon. Knead into the dough. Leave to rise for another hour, again covered by some well-oiled cling film to stop the dough getting a crust.
- Step 4Divide dough into 15 even pieces and roll each piece into a smooth ball on a lightly floured work surface. Arrange the buns on lined baking trays. Cover with more oiled cling film then set aside for 1 hour.
- Step 5Heat oven to 220 dgrees C. Mix the flour with 5 tbsp water to make the paste for the cross – add the water 1 tbsp at a time, so you add just enough for a thick paste. Spoon into a piping bag with a small nozzle. Pipe a line along each row of buns, then repeat in the other direction to create crosses. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Step 6Gently heat the jam to melt, then sieve to get rid of any chunks. While the jam is still warm, brush over the top of the warm buns and leave to cool.